Charter Schools Related schools coverage »
 

Addition of sixth grade and efforts to recruit at-risk students dominate Lycée board meeting

How to sequence the addition of a sixth grade and the need to recruit at-risk students were hot topics as the board of Lycée Français de la Nouvelle-Orléans met Tuesday evening, May 13, to review a series of committee updates.

Since no votes were taken, parents and community members present were not invited to comment.

Member Mary Jacobs Jones informed the board that the organization’s current charter calls for adding both fifth and sixth grades in the 2015-16 school year. This contradicted the board’s announcement at last month’s meeting that the plan was to add a grade a year as current third graders advance.

Jones outlined three possible solutions:

  • Adding grades five and six in 2015-16, as called for in the school’s current charter
  • Revising the charter and adding grades one year at a time
  • Adding grades 6 and 7 in 2016-17

Staffing projections call for adding three sixth-grade teachers. Member Erin Greenwald pointed out that the projections, based on the French lycée system, did not include a dedicated science teacher, a possible fourth addition to the staff.

Jones said that adding two middle-school grades in the same year would make for economies of scale, given the increased per-pupil funding that would become available due to larger enrollment. The money would offset the cost of hiring an additional teacher. She also noted that the school does not currently have a building or financial plan for inaugurating a sixth grade in August 2015.

Member Ann Meese said the school should seek public input in making the decision. Parents on both sides of the issue chose a recent facilities committee meeting to air their views on the subject.

In his academic update, CEO Keith Bartlett said there had been a “speed bump” in the organization’s plan to center its planned French Quarter curriculum in the Cabildo, a Jackson Square state museum. The museum is slated for major renovations, making the classroom unavailable for the upcoming school year. Nonetheless, the school plans to continue the six-week program, which will teach students about the history and French roots of the historic French Quarter.

Bartlett updated the board on the school’s progress toward its goal of an enrollment that is 67 percent “at-risk” youth, as required of public charter schools. Having opened an additional pre-K class of 20 spaces, the school has received 18 applications from at-risk children, but it’s uncertain how many of them will enroll, he said.

“A school like this, without any kind of recruiting necessary, attracts families of means,” he said. “We have to sell it to at-risk families.”

Members asked if they could contact parents who expressed interest in the school on their OneApp forms but didn’t enroll their children. New director of development Sarah Stickney said she would ask OneApp officials about the ethics of using parent contact info to explore why they decided against Lycée Français.

Director of finance and operations Karianne Heins reported briefly on finances. She said the organization expects a net surplus over $300,000 for the current year; member Michael Williams said it may be closer to $370,000 and praised Heins for her conservative estimates.

Heins suggested the organization adopt a cash reserve policy and begin setting aside funds to purchase a new school.

The public budget hearing is set for Thursday, June 19, the same day as the monthly board meeting. The budget will be available for public review at the school and on the organization’s website starting June 9. The board will then approve its projected budget on July 14.

Help us report this story     Report an error    
The Lens' donors and partners may be mentioned or have a stake in the stories we cover.
  • The voice of reason

    They are crazy if they think they can open 6th grade in 2015. Not only is the small Patton St. building literally bursting at the seams with over 450 students there next year, but The French “college” (6th-9th grade) functions with different teachers teaching each subject. Not only do you need an additional Science teacher, but also a Math, History, Litterature, and P.E. teacher. This is precisely why other French schools aren’t doing it.
    There seem to be no real plan to find a new building and organize bus transportation for students. Without these, the school will never be able to grow and will never attract more at-risk students.

    Lycée Français needs to get their priorities straight instead of dispersing their energy in unsure programs such as the Cabildo, which seems like an expensive publicity stunt as it will only concern a handful of students for just a few weeks.

  • nickelndime

    LYCÉE: If the enrollment of public charter schools is supposed to be 67 percent of at-risk students, then how is this supposed to happen at a school like LYCÉE? Without busing? At Patton Street? No doubt that the St. Francis of Assisi Parish would love for LYCÉE to remain its tenant. It is well suited to the area and does attract families with means. And what about the selective-admission OPSB charters like Lusher and Franklin High School? Do they also laugh at Louisiana Charter School Law regarding the enrollment of “at-risk” students?

  • nickelndime

    LYCÉE: Is the pre-k class with 20 spaces being reserved “segregated” according to “at-risk” status? WHAT!?! And this is okay with everybody? What are they going to do to the classroom? Put yellow tape around it, cuz it does remind me of a crime scene!

  • Ailuri

    In the actual board meeting notes, it says it is 20 slots reserved in kindergarten, not preK…not sure why it says preK on this article…and they say it as part of the whole class of 153 kindy kids, not as a separate classroom just for those kids.

    The actual meeting notes are here:

    http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/05/lycee-francais-board-meeting-live-coverage-2/

    At 7:56 it says: The school is holding 20 spots for at-risk kindergartners and 18 children have applied who meet at-risk criteria, Bartlett says.

  • nickelndime

    Thanks, Ailuri. But, based on what I am reading, it appears that Bartlett might be a “babe in the woods” and is good -intentioned, which leads me to believe that he might be willing to drink the kool-aid, but the LYCÉE Board will stop him before it has another crime scene on its hands. Nice try, LYCÉE board. But, it doesn’t appear that Bartlett understands your agenda. If he did, he might be able to explain it better in public.

  • AmyGeorge

    My dear Nickelndime: You’ll be happy to know that this is NOT happening because, you’re right, it would so NOT be okay!

  • nickelndime

    AmyGeorge: Good. I guess I’ll put that yellow crime scene tape away – for now – but I am not shelving it cuz I have seen too many slip ups, and as Melanie Griffith said in “Bonfire of the Vanities,” the scene has made me somewhat “PARANOIDICAL.” HaHaHa! It was good hearing from you.