Extreme caution: Handle with care—the billboard that is

In April, as city officials debated whether to allow its demolition, the shotgun beneath the billboard still bore some resemblance to a house. photo: Preservation Resource Center

In the words of Ryan Berni, Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s director of communications, the city using “extreme caution” as it attempts the demolition of the Ninth Ward shotgun pictured above.

Xavier rankles Gert Town neighbors with demolition plans

 

At the June 4 public hearing of the Neighborhood Conservation District Committee, often known by the more familiar abbreviation of NCDC (only because it sounds an awful lot like the band AC/DC), at least one committee member expressed concerns about the mission of the committee and about the conservation of one particular neighborhood located next to Xavier University. Xavier presented plans to demolish 14 houses in the Gert Town neighborhood as it continues to develop its convocation center and as the university plans to build several tennis courts.

Demolition request comes from odd source

By Karen Gadbois, The Lens staff writer |

A plumber with headquarters on Broad Street did his best to follow the rules when he filed an application to demolish a building in a historic area – except that it’s not his property. The fiancée of the owner was at a recent hearing of the Historic District Landmarks Commission, and she said she’s living there and that neither she nor the owner want it torn down.

Frustrated homeowner resorts to demolition

By Jessica Williams, The Lens staff writer |

A family that vainly struggled through more than six years of bureaucracy to get back into their Katrina-damaged home, an effort recently chronicled in The Lens, finally gave up and had the structure torn down. Homeowner Kisa Holmes said she found out last week that the demolition on her 9th Ward home was complete.

Council OK's St. Charles Avenue demolition

By Karen Gadbois, The Lens staff writer |

A substantial group of Uptown property owners attended today’s City Council meeting to address a proposal to tear down an 80-year-old house on St. Charles Avenue.

Prior owner of 1 demolished "Treme" house says city seized double he was trying to fix

By Ariella Cohen, The Lens staff writer |

Standing in front of a row of abandoned, soon-to-be-razed double shotguns, , gesturing sympathetically to the neighborhood leaders gathered with him, Mayor Mitch Landrieu on Thursday implored New Orleans property owners to end the pattern of neglect that has left tens of thousands blighted buildings across the city. “To all the people out there who own properties in the city of New Orleans, take care of them, honor your responsibilities, get your property back up to code, the city will be enforcing and this is a consequence of that enforcement,” the mayor said, the anger in his voice palpable.

If city had asked, "Treme" producers would have chipped in on restoration of doubles

By Ariella Cohen, The Lens staff writer |

Neither the Landrieu administration nor preservationists followed up to save houses featured in ads for the HBO television show “Treme,” series executive producer David Simon wrote in a letter released this afternoon. The five houses that grace the cover of the recently released first-season DVD set were demolished earlier today.

Rock 'n' Bowl demolitions are put on hold

By Karen Gadbois, The Lens staff writer |

City officials this week delayed for a month a decision on whether Rock ‘n’ Bowl’s owner can demolish two nearby homes he recently bought. The Neighborhood Conservation District Committee told owner John Blancher to spend the time talking to the area’s neighborhood organization.

Empty since Katrina, 233 HANO units to be torn down

The Housing Authority of New Orleans approved a deal today to demolish 233 empty scattered public housing units moldering since Hurricane Katrina. But while neighbors applauded progress in the battle against blight, questions remain about what HANO will do with its properties once the 99 doomed buildings are cleared.