Healthcare reporter: Freelance
The Lens is the New Orleans area’s first nonprofit, nonpartisan public-interest newsroom, dedicated to unique investigative and explanatory journalism.
Our mission is to educate, engage and empower readers with information and analysis necessary for them to advocate for a more transparent and just governance that is accountable to the public.
The Lens is seeking a freelance reporter to cover healthcare news during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
We are looking for someone who can explain the science to our readers in an engaging, readable way. Having established sources in the local healthcare community would be a plus.
The reporter will be expected to pitch and produce one to two stories per week. Some stories may be assigned by the editor.
Topics previously covered:
- A possible link between COVID-19 mortality and pollution
- What public health experts say the state needs to accomplish to reopen safely
- Protocols on care rationing
Potential topics to cover:
- Analysis of local and state infection, mortality and hospitalization rates
- National and international context for state data on infection rates, testing rates and deaths from the disease
- Local research and clinical trials of COVID-19 treatments—The debate on reopening the state and how long mitigation measures will have to be in place
If you’re interested, please contact Lens Founder and Director Karen Gadbois, at email@example.com, with your resume and a brief letter of introduction. The deadline for submitting applications has been extended to Aug. 14, 2020. Subject line should read “Lens healthcare reporter.”