Starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, The Lens will live-stream the eighth annual Rising Tide conference.
10 a.m.: Creating Community for Writers of Color: MelaNated Writers Collective
Moderator: Jarvis Q. DeBerry, editorial writer and columnist for NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune
- Jewel Bush, writer
- David Thaddeus Baker, associate/Web editor for The Louisiana Weekly
- Kelly Harris, founder of Poems & Pink Ribbons, a writing workshop for breast cancer survivors and their loved ones
- Gian Smith, artist and spoken-word poet
11:30 a.m.: Charter School Access & Accountability
Moderator: Scott Sternberg, attorney at Baldwin Haspel Burke & Mayer
- Steve Beatty, editor of The Lens
- Jaimmé Collins, attorney at Adams & Reese, which represents some charter schools
- Marta Jewson, freelance journalist covering charter schools
- Aesha Rasheed, board member of Morris Jeff Community School and founder of New Orleans Parent Organizing Network
I will live-blog this panel below.
1:45 p.m.: Presentation of the Ashley Award
2 p.m.: Keynote address by Lt. General Russel Honoré
3 p.m.: Beyond Tourism Beyond Recovery
Moderator: Charles Maldonado, The Lens
- Kevin Fox Gotham, professor of sociology at Tulane University
- Brice Miller, New Orleans jazz trumpeter and cultural engagement and public humanities specialist
- Meg Lousteau, executive director of the Vieux Carré Property Owners, Residents and Associates
- Robin Keegan, professional planner at GCR Inc.
- Mark Romig, president and CEO of the New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation