Robert Moton Charter School’s operating budget is increasing 53 percent, propelled by a rising enrollment and the school’s first full year in a larger building. Spending in the 2012-2013 school year is anticipated to be $2.7 million, compared to last year’s $1.7 million.
The school moved in February to a building on Gentilly Boulevard, leased from the Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans. Financial Manager Cleveland Stockman said the larger building allowed the school to expand enrollment but brought added operational costs.
School officials expect enrollment to be 340, an increase of about 70 students. Salary costs will rise 34 percent with the addition of teaching staff to accommodate the rise in enrollment. Stockman could not confirm how many teachers had been added but said the staff now numbers 25. Principal Paulette Bruno could not be reached.
The budget anticipates utility costs to rise to $58,200 from last year’s $26,878. The budget for materials and supplies will more than triple as a result of the expanding enrollment, Stockman said.
Revenue is projected to increase from $2.2 million to $2.7 million, with the bulk of it coming from per pupil funding through the state’s Minimum Foundation Program.
The school has increased its budget for transportation to reflect added bus routes. Stockman said the school would not know how many routes are needed until enrollment numbers are confirmed.
School officials would not provide a digital copy of the budget to the Lens, but it is available for review in the school’s front office during business hours.
A public hearing to review the budget will be held July 25 at 4 p.m. at the school.